Wednesday, February 4, 2009

MUSIC PROJECT

I've attached the brief for the the project we were just assigned. I couldn't have been more wrong in my guess. We are to choose an artist from options the tutors have outlined for us:


Different Trains – Steve Reich

Sonatas & Interludes for prepared piano– John Cage

Kind of Blue – Miles Davis

Goldberg Variations - Bach

The Great Poets – Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope, Blake, Burns, Wordsworth, Keats,

Browning, Whitman, Dickinson, Manley Hopkins, Hardy

Djangology – Django Reinhardt

Greek – Mark Anthony Turnage

British Bird Song –

Artic tern, Barnacle goose, Blackcap, Brambling, Common gull, Common tern, Coot, Crane, Dipper,

Dunlin, Egyptian goose, Firecrest, Fulmar, Golden eagle, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goshawk, Great

crested grebe, Greenshank, Grey wagtail, Hobby, Hoopoe, Kingfisher, Lesser whitethroat, Little egret

This land is Your Land (Asch Recordings, Vol 1) – Woody Guthrie

Early Works – Steve Reich


From there we're supposed to design a record cover, sleeve, and 16-page booklet discussing the artist / why they're groundbreaking. It seems like a lot of work, but also a lot of fun - integrating two of my favorite things: music & design. I just can't decide who to pick! Its between John Cage, Woody Guthrie, and Bach. Pretty varied, I know. Whenever I'm assigned projects like this where I have a choice, the most difficult part for me is usually deciding what to do (of which I spend like 70% of my time doing). 


So I have an 'assessment' on Friday, where the tutors are going to look over the work I've done so far, as well as my portfolio and discuss it with me. It will be more informal because they can officially 'assess' me, because I've only just gotten here, so really it will be more like a conversation. I'll post afterwards and discuss what they've said.


More to come later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment